large matview log, does it lock base table when dropping?

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:32:51 -0500

We've got a large materialized view log (100Gb) on a 1.7 Gb table in 9.2.0.7. We need to drop the log, but we aren't sure if dropping the log will put any sort of lock on the base table. We're going to try to test it, but we don't have too many other logs that are large enough to take time to drop so we can inspect the state of the locking during the drop.

Has anyone done this before to see exactly what structures are locked during the drop? In theory, since the log is being dropped, there's no reason to lock the base table since we don't care about capturing additional changes (that would normally be logged).

Thanks in advance,
Dan