Re: RMAN and Oracle Std Edition

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:13:35 -0600

There are additional limitations to RMAN with SE, including (as I recall):

  • No encrypted backups
  • No compressed backup sets
  • No duplexing of backups (a consequence of being limited to one channel as previously mentioned)

For the most part, though, all of the "basic" functionality of RMAN remains available, including the ability to backup to tape. You may not have been * completely* misinformed, though. One means of having RMAN backup to tape is "Oracle Secure Backup"; at least a few features of OSB (e.g., encrypted backup to disk) require an EE database (plus Advanced Security option).

The only major restrictions to RMAN with SE seem to relate mainly to throughput.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:45 PM, mkb <mkb125_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Allen,
>

> Great info. This is what I was searching for.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> mohammed

Cheers,