deleting archive logs, ASM, and SAN

From: Dba DBA <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:06:52 -0400

redhat 4.5
on a SAN
using ASM

I have a flash recovery area where I put my archivelogs.

I ran out of archive space, so I logged into RMAN and deleted them. I got an error that told me I was out of space because I could not log in to the database. It was about 5 minutes after I deleted the archive logs before I could log in as anything other than sysdba.

Is this due to ASM background processes or Oracle processes not noticing the free space? We are on RAW partitions and a SAN. I have been told that when you delete from a SAN, its not really delete and can take some time for the delete to take place, but this is inside ASM.