Re: an interview question

From: Ravi Madabhushanam <ravi.madabhushanam_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:48:57 +0530

If the backup procedure followed in this case includes the controlfile ( with controlfile auto backup or by any other way), we can always restore the backup. Our requirement is to restore is to restore data & not its metadata (catalog). Meta data does help in restores but will never limits the recoverability of the database.

Here process simple:

catalog start with '/backup_location/';
list backup of controlfile;
==> this should list the backup piece with controlfile.. if it has,,.. if no output then it will be little tough restore controlfile from '<backuppiece listed above>; restore database;

I think this is one possible solution. If anyone thinks otherwise please let us know.

Thanks,
Ravi.M