Re: transportable tablespace to an ASM database

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:45:02 -0500

Dear DBA,

I didn't see where you got an answer to your question. Have you resolved your issue?
My assumption is that you are using the RMAN transportable tablespace feature because your two servers are not compatible (SPARC to Intel)? My understanding is that in this situation RMAN is just the way Oracle implemented the cross-platform. Even though Alejandro's example uses a full backup, that isn't needed. Perhaps this paper will show that more clearly. http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/xtts.htm I also don't see where Alejandro converted the tablespaces, but maybe that wasn't his point.
However, since you need to convert the tablespace to ASM, that part of Alejandro's example should be useful for you.

Dennis Williams