Re: Oracle 10gR2 RAC on NetApp Fibre

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:56:22 -0500

Personally, I prefer FCP and have observed better performance than with
Ethernet-based solutions (generally speaking). Usually, getting the FCP
infrastructure is the hard (costly) part of building such an
environment, so if you're starting with FCP, it almost seems a step
back to use IP-based protocols. I think you outlined all the options
pretty well. I'd stay away from #3 as there are rumors of desupport for
RAW someday and for many other reasons too. Based on your numbering, my
preferences from most preferred to least would be 1, 2, 5, 4.

Dan

Devanand Nayak wrote:

Hi,

I have Oracle 10.2.0.3 database on RedHat (4 or 5 yet to be decided) with NetApp storage. The NetApp storage is Fibre connected and I don’t currently have any Ethernet/IP connectivity to the Filer.

I want to implement Oracle RAC. For the database shared storage requirement the options I see I have are:

1. Oracle ASM using the existing FCP Fibre connectivity.

2. OCFS2 using the existing FCP Fibre connectivity.

3. Raw using the existing FCP Fibre connectivity.

4. NFS not using our existing Fibre connectivity, but, deploying a new IP switched infrastructure.

5. iSCSI not using our existing Fibre connectivity, but, deploying a new IP switched infrastructure.

What are peoples experiences?

Cheers

Dev

Dev Nayak

A: DSP Global Limited, Golden Cross House, 8 Duncannon Street, London, WC2N 4JF
T: +44 8701 999377
M: +44 7956 400985
F: +44 8701 991977
W: www.dsp-global.com

This message has been sent via the Internet. Internet communications are not secure against
interception or modification. DSP Global Ltd therefore cannot guarantee that this message
has not been modified in transit. This message and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. The unauthorised use,
disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is forbidden. If you have received
this message in error please notify the sender and destroy your copies of the message
and any attached files.  Please note that in replying to this mail, you are granting
the right for that reply to be forwarded to any other individual and to be read by a
surrogate in the event that the intended recipient is out of the office or is no longer
employed by the company.  Any views expressed by an individual within this message do
not necessarily reflect the views of company.

DSP Global Limited, Golden Cross House, 8 Duncannon Street, London, WC2N 4JF
Tel: +44 (0)8701 999377, Fax: +44 (0)8701 991977

-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jul 25 2008 - 07:56:22 CDT

Original text of this message