Backup Strategy for Oracle App Server

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:47:24 -0700

Hi List, I'm in the process of implementing a new Oracle Application Server (10.1.2.0.2) and trying to decide on the best backup strategy. I'm pretty new to OAS, but I've read the documentation on OAS Backup & Recovery
(http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14099_19/core.1012/b13995/part
5.htm) and it seems to be all about backing up to disk only. We have a tape library where we typically backup all our servers and databases
(with RMAN & Netbackup), so I'd like to use this approach rather than
(or at least in addition to) using the OAS Backup & Recovery tool to
create backups to disk. Would it be effective to just backup my Metadata Repository database straight to tape, and backup all the $ORACLE_HOME files for my OAS instances (Infrastructure - Metadata Repository & Identity Mgmt; Middle Tier - Business Intelligence & Forms) straight to tape as well, or is there some reason why we should use the backup & recovery tool to backup to disk instead? If any of you are running OAS, could you please share your preferred backup strategy?

Thanks,

Brandon