Why does olsnodes generate and read logs in $CRSHOME/log/$node/client

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:53:56 -0500

Good day, list,

We use olsnodes in oraenv to set the ORACLE_SID. I have seen other implementations of setting the ORACLE_SID in oraenv, but I am asking specifically about olsnodes and how it works. Looking at the readable, non-binary olsnodes, I see that it calls olsnodes.bin. I am not very versatile with debuggers or decompilers, but I do see the documentation has a brief synopsis for syntax. Nothing about the syntax suggests that I would be generating a log file each time we use olsnnodes, nor that olsnodes would be scanning the entire $CRSHOME/log/$node/client directory each time it is run. We have observed that olsnodes has become slower and slower, and finally noticed that this directory has 65,000 files in it. Is there supposed to be a job to clean those up? Why are there at all, and why is olsnodes scanning the directory? The only reason I found this directory was doing an strace (linux) on olsnodes and seeing an entry like the following for each file:

access("/u01/app/oracle/product/crs/log/urbdb1/client/css551.log", F_OK) = 0 getcwd("/u01/app/oracle/local/bin", 4096) = 26 chdir("/u01/app/oracle/product/crs/log/db1/client") = 0 getcwd("/u01/app/oracle/product/crs/log/urbdb1/client", 4096) = 46 chdir("/u01/app/oracle/local/bin") = 0 mmap(NULL, 143360, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x2a97790000
munmap(0x2a97790000, 143360) = 0

--

Charles Schultz

--