RE: standby database from a RAC cluster with ASM to a single-instance server using filesystem storage not ASM.

From: Henry Poras <henry_at_itasoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:57:44 -0400

John,

I would pick and choose from two different technet articles (from the Maximum Availability Architecture set).

Data
<http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/dataguard11g_rac_m
aa.pdf> Guard 11g Installation and Configuration Best Practices on Oracle RAC http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/dataguard11g_rac_ma a.pdf

         MAA 10
<http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/MAA_WP_10g_RACPrim
arySingleInstancePhysicalStandby.pdf> g Setup Guide: Creating a Single Instance Physical Standby Database for a RAC Primary Database

http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/MAA_WP_10g_RACPrima rySingleInstancePhysicalStandby.pdf

In 11g you can have RMAN create the standby control file, password file, spfile for you. The spfile isn't correct, so the suggestion is to start with a simple, dummy init.ora for the standby, have RMAN pass some init parameters over during the copy, then create a pfile from the standby spfile, shutdown, edit the pfile, restart the standby. I would think you should be able to take care of the cluster problems this way.

Hope this helps. (I am just finishing a RAC to RAC (2 node to 1 node)) install. I haven't tried a non-clustered physical standby.

Henry