Re: Installation of Oracle client for end users

From: Jared Still <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:55:01 -0700

We only have a few apps that require an oracle client for users, as many are application server based (SAP and Agile, and Oracle eBiz)

For those that do require a client, I created an installer to install the client
on the clients using response files for db install and patches.

A network install would be nice, just one of those things I haven't gotten to as it isn't really high priority.

Then there are apps that require a particular version of Oracle.

eTrade Equity Edge for example must run on Oracle, and the client must also be As the client makes use of exp/imp and sqlldr, mixing versions breaks things.

Also of concern is that many folks use laptops and do work away from the office. Loading Oracle clients over the internet can be somewhat painful for some slower connections.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Jeffrey Beckstrom <> wrote:

> Question, how are you rolling out the Oracle client software for your
> windows end-users.
> Are you installing the client software on the local PC and if so how?
> Are you running the client software from a shared networked drive?
> Jeffrey Beckstrom
> Database Administrator
> Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
> 1240 W. 6th Street
> Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Jared Still