Re: Tuning Application Logins/Logouts

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:39:46 -0500

I would say it should. You might also look at static definitions in the
listener and use PRESPAWN in the listener to precreate some number of
dedicated server processes to avoid (or pay in advance instead of at
connection time) the overhead of the fork the listener makes for each
dedicated server.

I think there are also DB-resident connection pools in 11g, but I think that was a feature aimed specifically at PHP--not sure how it works, but may help you if you can learn enough about it (and are using a version that supports the feature).

Dan

Elliott, Patrick wrote:
We have an application that is coded to login, do a query, and then logout.  It does this an average of twice per second.  It is a big deal to fix the application.  Would enabling Shared Server/MTS help solve this problem?  Right now the high overhead of logins and logouts can be a performance hit.

Pat

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records. To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com

-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Jul 22 2008 - 13:39:46 CDT

Original text of this message