RE: RAC rolling patch application

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:38:56 -0400

There are two plausible reasons for Oracle to declare a patch false on rolling patch.

  1. It is too much work to prove that the interaction of the new binary starting an instance on a database where the previous binary is running is safe.
  2. They know for sure it is incompatible and it will either break for sure or you have to get lucky and not experience the incompatible interinstance interaction.

In neither case is it safe to ignore Oracle's warning that it is not a rolling patch.

Since you can apparently handle the load with one instance, you should be able to shut down the non-primary instance, (starting exposure to no active failover target), apply the patch to the non-primary instance's software source, shutdown normal the primary instance, (beginning outage), startup restricted old software primary-switch logfile-archive complete-shutdown normal, start "secondary" instance using new software, (ending outage unless you didn't test properly and it blows up in your face), apply patch to primary, start primary using new software (ending exposure).

Compared to risking it all unsupported, I wouldn't call that much of a choice.