RAC rolling patch application

From: daniel koehne <koehned_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:44:34 -0400

We need/want to apply Oracle patch 5907779 to our two node 10.2.0.3 RAC Solaris 9 cluster. We run this cluster with init.ora active_instance_count=1 which makes one instance the primary and the other instance the secondary--in summary all connections are routed to the primary instance.

Querying the patch lists the following as the install actions:

   Update /oracle/product/10.2/lib/libserver10.a with /kkxs.o    cd /oracle/product/10.2/rdbms/lib
     ; make -f ins_rdbms.mk ioracle ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/product/10.2

I also see that this patch is not a rolling upgrade patch. OPatch query -all ->"Patch is a rolling patch: false"

We had initially planned to apply this patch as a rolling upgrade (shutdown our secondary instance and apply patch, then failover [scondary instance becomes primary instance by shutting down primary] and apply the patch to the second node) but I am reluctant to proceed this way. I have been trying to get Oracle support, without much success, to address our specific situation (RAC cluster with active_instance_count=1).

I am wondering if anyone has a feeling for how "out there blowing in the wind" we would be if we went with a rolling patch upgrade for this patch?

I won't tell Oracle support if you won't!

   Daniel