Anyone using GC 10.2 to monitor SQL Server 2K/2K5?

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:53:15 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

Keeping the OEM threads alive...

Using SQL Server's version of Enterpise Manager or Management Studio to monitor SSs is an inefficient, time-consuming, and sieve-like way to manage.

I've installed Grid Control 10.2.0.3.0 and am using it to monitor all of our 5 Oracle DBs (including XE and the OMS repository -- we're not that big). Since our XE DB is on Win32, I've installed an Agent there and have encountered the usual slew of Oracle-on-Windows issues coming from a Unix environment, but nothing that's insurmountable.

Does anyone use GC to monitor SQL Server 2K and/or 2K5? I installed the SQL Server plugin to GC and had deployed it to my laptop as a test, but with very limited time, I'm afraid that my "testing" was empirical at best. And then my laptop died a horrible death...

At this point, I'm looking for feedback before spending the time to reinstall everything I'd need to test. I'm not terribly interested in performance metrics yet, but mostly centralized error/event notification. Simple answers to:

  1. Are you using GC to monitor SQL Server 2K/2K5 on Server 2K/2K3 (32bit)?
  2. Why/not?
  3. Any major gotchas?

TIA!
Rich