Dependency Standby configuration with different OS users.

From: Ravi Madabhushanam <ravi.madabhushanam_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:17:50 +0530

Hi All,

We are trying to implement dependency among our standby databases. The present scenario is as below:

A on box x1 -- primary
B on box x2 - standby
C on box x2 - standby ( this should be dependent on B)

As both B & C reside on same box we want to use the same set of archive logs shipped for B to be used by C.

The problem we are facing is B & C are not running as standard oracle user. B is as user oracleB & C as oracleC.. i mean the OS users are different.

Due to this , whenever the primary is checking for dependency archive log.. it is erroring with "ORA-116071: dependency archived log file not found". This is expected as the OS users are different and it may not be able to check the status. I modified the oracleC user to have the secondary group of oracleB user.. So group read permissions should enable the instance to access the archive log? wont this be sufficient?

But the actual doubt i'm having is how is this dependency works on primary?

1 ) primary checks the v$archive_log for the corresponding dest_id ( in our case 2) and stops itself sending a the archive log to dest_id 3 or
2 ) primary will connect to standby C ( dest_id 3) and verify the archive log presence and if not existing send the archive log..?

which of the above scnerio is correct?. i'm completely confused and not sure where i'm going wrong..

However the FAL is working perfectly fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ravi.M