Re: DSS System -- db_cache_size and pga_aggregate_target

From: Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 08:42:00 +0300

I do not know any "whit papers" but I think this is common sense. In OLTP you make a lot of random access to blocks. If you have big cache size, the odds increase that the next time you need to access the customer record, the block will be in memory. Since you work with small amounts of data, you do not need a lot of memory in the PGA.

In DSS systems, you do a lot of FTS, the blocks get into the lower part of the LRU and are not kept in memory, since the space will be needed for the next big FTS. The user gets a lot of data to process, aggregate and sort so it needs a log of memory in the PGA.

Just my opinion.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel