Re: Hash Join and sequential reads

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:44:21 +0100

There are various components to the update that might be the source of the single block reads. One conjecture that I haven't tested is that it's down to the use of the hash join.

You have an update statement driven through a hash join - and the table you want to update is the build table. This means the order in which rows are selected from that table for update is dictated by the second table (in your case the view) in the hash join. This means that you are likely to be updating rows scattered randomly around the table - which would required single block reads.

It would be interesting to determine whether the optimizer includes the rowid in the build table to make this efficient - I suspect it has to, unless there is a uniqueness constraint on the join column in which case the optimizer could access the row to be updated by index.

I also notice you've used the undocumented /*+bypass_ujvc */ hint to avoid bypass the requirement for key-preservation. If your aggregate view manages to produce multiple rows in cases where it is supposed to produce just one (i.e. updating rows in w_person_d many times) this could make matters worse.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com

Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals