RE: "DB Link are Inherently Slow" -- True or False?

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:51:24 -0400

Slow is a relative term. If the alternate transfer method is an export, FTP, and import then even if the insert select across the link was slower than the import step it is likely to be faster than the combined exp/imp or exp/FTP/imp process.

The real question is how important is the transfer speed? How often will the transfer need to be performed? Will the receiving object need to be re-created, cleared out prior to the task or will the data need to be merged? If the data is merged what are the chances of getting an error?

The answers to these questions should allow you to choose the best solution for your needs.

  • Mark D Powell -- Phone (313) 592-5148