Re: rman Ora-4031 - how to flush large pool?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:05:39 -0600

I'm sure that there is a way to tell, via querying some X$ table or other, but my purely-speculative and uninformed guess would be that "flush" simply means "deallocate inactive" and does not include defragmenting as well, which would involve relocating everything remaining to leave all free space in a contiguous area. Deallocating inactive data structures is relatively painless, as I imagine very little synchronization has to occur.

The reason I believe this is based on the my appraisal of what would have to happen to implement defragmentation functionality in a multiuser environment. The Shared Pool would have to be completely and exclusively locked for the relocation of data structures. If you look at all the X$ tables (and some of the V$ views), there are a lot of ADDR (address) columns -- I expect those would have to be updated, and that implies further locking of process- and session-specific data structures, some of which may be in the SGA and others of which might be totally out of reach, residing in the PGA or UGA which (on some platforms and configurations) in "private" process memory.

Just my $0.02...