"DB Link are Inherently Slow" -- True or False?

From: David Aldridge <david_at_david-aldridge.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 06:23:17 -0700 (PDT)

            I am being persistently told by a DBA that DB links are inherently slow and not suited to bulk transfer of data.

  Does anyone have any experiences to share on the sort of practical MBytes/sec throughput we ought to be getting on a 10GBit network between two databases having no intervening firewalls, routers, or other potentially performance limiting network components? We're seeing 2MBytes/sec using data pump import in network mode with parallelsim of 10 (ie. sourcing data through a db link from another db on a different host) :(