Re: rman Ora-4031 - how to flush large pool?

From: Douglas Cowles <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:12:41 -0400

Thanks - version is AIX 5.3 sorry for leaving it out. I may pursue the bug route depending on what else comes up on oracle-l.

             "Finn Jorgensen"
                                       Douglas Cowles/Southbury/IBM_at_IBMUS
             07/14/2008 11:15                                           cc
                                       Re: rman Ora-4031 - how to flush
                                       large pool?

you forgot to mention your database version and platform.

I'm pretty sure flush shared pool does not flush the large pool. It's used for completely different purposes. I believe RMAN only uses the large pool for IO buffers and that's not what's running full with a 4031. I've seen many times flushing the shared pool only very temporarily or not at all alleviates 40431's. Best bet in my experience is to bounce the instance and bump the shared pool up. It could also be some sort of bug since it's RMAN that's causing it and never anything else (assuming here).

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:36 PM, Douglas Cowles <> wrote:
> We have a system that is throwing ORA-4031's in rman archive log backups
> after the system has been up a few days. To my understanding, RMAN tries
> use the large pool for it's activities. When we alter system flush shared
> pool - the errors do not stop - the database has to be bounced or the
> large_pool has to be increased 3M or so. Does alter system flush
> flush the large pool? If it does, then why would that not defragment the
> pool? If it does not, is there a way to do it? In general, will flushing
> shared_pool defragment it - large pool or otherwise?
> Thanks,
> Doug C.

graycol.gif pic18751.gif ecblank.gif