Re: OC4J Bind Variables: Positional Notation

From: Ray Feighery <rjfeighery_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:11:05 +1000

Hello

Thanks to Chris and Cary for the posts.

I've traced the session. The application submits multiple SQL queries. The first few have the desired format:

  select t.distance,
  from tree_xref t
   where childOrg.id = :1

Then it submits a query like this :

select id,
from ila_custom_string
WHERE (site_id = ? and locale = ?)

And errors with ORA-0911

There's no conversion that I can see.

If the JDBC driver handles replacement of bind variables, then all bind variables submitted to the database should be in Oracle-understandable format (i.e. :1). This should be handled by Oracle Application Server and the JDBC driver. As an aside, I think in JDeveloper there is actually a setting to change how bind variables are submitted.

I'm confused as to why it changes in this application. Can it be set in the code?

Any information is appreciated. I've raised a Metalink SR, but given the quality of response, my hopes aren't high.

Ray