RE: OC4J Bind Variables: Positional Notation

From: Christian Antognini <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 11:28:27 +0200

Hi Ray

> This is more like an ODBC or Perl query using positional placeholders.
> I had thought that the jdbc driver handled this and converted the
> former to the latter.

JDBC uses the "?" as placeholder to define a bind variable. Of course the JDBC driver is responsible to replace them. In your case the query sent to the database should be the following:

from table1
WHERE (col1 = :1 and col2 = :2);

As pointed out by Cary, if you want to see the query you should enable SQL trace.

Chris Antognini

Troubleshooting Oracle Performance, Apress 2008 (