RE: AIX raw device offset

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:55:59 -0400

dd from an existing raw volume to a regular file on a JFS volume for a file system you don't care about (possibly created for the purpose). Then od the file and look for the offset where you see a typical Oracle file header. I'm pretty sure Oracle's files are 1 database block size bigger than you asked for as well, so make sure you have at least offset plus file size you think you have plus 1 db block size available on the raw device you prepare to receive the new file. (That's for it to work at all. Getting the header aligned in a good way compared to the underlying physical storage that is being presented by the volume manager to the OS is another matter.)

I won't even pry into why you're still using 7.3.x.

By the way, unless this is an nth file of a multi file tablespace or a huge tablespace, I'd think seriously about creating a new tablespace the way you want it, copying the data you want to keep, and then dropping the old tablespace including contents. If it is a big tablespace that is probably a lot of i/o, but if you've got the space to do it it will be a lot safer. Even the dinosaurs who used to do this stuff frequently are rusty at doing it by now, and if I recall correctly some OS documents were at a lower standard of exactness than the general Oracle documentation.

Regards,

mwf