RMAN: Unregister from one Catalog and register in a new one

From: Ricardo Santos <saints.richard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:59:17 +0100

Hello to you all,
Due to infrastructure changes I want and have to start using another RMAN catalog for the backups of two Target Databases. But I don't want to loose the backup information I have, ie I still want to be able to access the oldest backups if I need them for some reason, for example for responding to a clone database request due to some law requirements. Here we use RMAN with media manager IBM Data Protection for Oracle version 5.2 and the databases involved in this question are: Target Database:
Old Catalog Database:
Old Catalog Schema:, created with RMAN executable RMAN executable:
New Catalog Database:
New Catalog Schema:, created with RMAN executable RMAN executable:

I'm planning the following procedure, during the night time:

1- Connect to the TARGET Database and OLD CATALOG Database
2- Take the configuration commands
3- Unregister Target Database with unregister command
4- Exit RMAN
5- Connect to the TARGET Database and NEW CATALOG Database
6- Register Target Database
7- Configure RMAN with the previosly taken RMAN commands
8- Perform a full database backup
9- Perform a crosscheck backup and a crosscheck archivelog all
I would like to know if this procedure is safe and is enough for:
- Still be able to acess the oldest backups on the Media Manager, I may
still need them for syncronize a test database
- Don't loose any configuration
  • Remove all the information from the old CATALOG Or if I need to take something more in consideration.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best Regards,