Re: Smon and dmt woes

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:17:05 +0800

How about

  1. take the database out of archivelog mode (shutdown , noarchivelog, startup mount)
  2. drop datafile
  3. open
  4. drop tablespace ?

At 09:41 AM Thursday, rjamya wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>9206 db, i have a (relatively) big tablespaces consists of 42
>datafiles totalling over 350GB in dictionary managed mode. i need to
>drop it, and recreate it as lmt with different size. All objects in
>that TS have been exported, now smon is trying to coalesce the free
>space for few hours.
>
>I tried setting event 10269 using alter system since i can't bounce
>the db (it is actively being used). Is ther eanother way to instruct
>smon to either finish the work quickly or stop working on it? This
>is because i already issued 'alter database datafile ... offline
>drop' for all datafiles in this TS hoping smon will ignore these and
>i can drop the ts quickly, but smon isn't giving up.
>
>I also did 'alter tablespace ... storage (pctincrease 0)' on all dmt
>tablespaces in vein hope that smon will ignore those for coalescing,
>but nothing works. Smon still has the ST lock that it won't give up.
>Other 12 tablespaces are lmt and 12 more tablespaces that are dmt in this db.
>
>Any other ideas on how i can drop this tablespace quickly?
>
>Thanks in advance
>-----
>Best regards
>Raj

Hemant K Chitale

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble." Mohandas Gandhi Quotes
: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html