Using CONVERT DATABASE for endian change?

From: Don Seiler <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 16:13:31 -0500

Good afternoon,

I'm staring down a database migration from SPARC "Solaris[tm] OE (64-bit)" to x86_64 "Solaris Operating System (AMD64)". Those names in quotes are from the v$transportable_platform and/or v$database platform_name field. I'll come back to that in a minute.

I've done a small test of a migration using transportable tablespaces and datapump and then using rman to convert the datafiles on the target platform. I couldn't do tablespace conversion on the source platform because "Solaris Operating System (AMD64)" wasn't listed in v$transportable_platform on that box. (If anyone knows anything about that, I'd love to hear it. both are However this still leaves me needing to manually perform a great deal of other things.

I've been reading about the CONVERT DATABASE command, specifically CONVERT DATABASE ON TARGET PLATFORM. However from my reading and initial dbms_tdb.check_db() tests, it doesn't seem to support endian conversion. Yet in the sample scripts I see in the tahiti doc [0], it does basically the same RMAN "CONVERT DATAFILE" that I did in my other tests, so I'm wondering why an endian conversion wouldn't be supported. Performing CONVERT DATABASE would take care of a lot of work that I had been doing manually to this point.

If anyone has any experience with CONVERT DATABASE and/or updating the V$TRANSPORTABLE_PLATFORM list, I'd love to know.

Don Seiler