Re: Monitor log file thru shell script

From: Jared Still <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:08:29 -0700

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Dan Norris <> wrote:

> Good idea and v2 of my own log-checker script was in perl as well and used
> a similar scheme (though I made everything appear in a single file--I don't
> like dependencies). Unfortunately, that required knowledge of perl, so I
> avoided it for this response.
> Great minds think alike! :)

You could of course use the PDBA toolkit found in "Perl for Oracle DBA's" , which includes a utility for monitoring alert logs. It has worked quite well
for me and a few other folks for about 10 years now.

Doing so is not simply a matter of installing a perl script and running it however. Complete instructions are in the book :) and it does require some configuration.

Jared Still