Re: SAN evaluation

From: Greg Rahn <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:11:30 -0700

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Matthew Zito <> wrote:

> I would definitely put a vote in for NetApp - lots of flexibility, good
> performance, multiprotocol, outstanding snapshot capability.

For OLTP workloads, I concur. For DSS/Data Warehousing, they are at the bottom of my list.

For DSS (high IO bandwidth workloads) I think the mid-range storage is the best offering today. EMC CLARiiON CX3 and Sun StorageTek 6140 make my short list. In DSS it is better to have multiple arrays with a smaller number of drives in each, than to have a big array with a large number of drives. This is because the array head becomes the bottleneck well before you fill up the cabinet - so why pay for space to put drives when you can't get any more read throughput off of them (unless you are looking for a storage only solution vs. performance)

Greg Rahn