Re: SAN evaluation

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:39:42 -0700

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Dennis Williams < oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> That may be it. But I'm specifically thinking about what circumstances you
> need to take the SAN offline. I'm not sure how this is reflected in MTBF. As
> a specific example, I have seen a comparison between NetApp and EMC. A lot
> of money could be saved by using NetApp, but there were more situations
> where the SAN would have to come offline. For example, I understand that you
> can apply an upgrade to the EMC without taking it offline. My point is that
> you need to understand the criticality of your application and determine
> whether the availability of the SAN would meet your requirements.

An issue that I have not seen addressed is technical support.

We have found our experiences with NetApp support much more palatable than those with EMC support.

Here's an example from someone else:

 http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=678938&tstart=50

 We have had several such experiences with EMC support.

--
Jared Still