Re: Monitor log file thru shell script

From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrichdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:08:12 -0500

This conversation has been timely, as we're currently looking at monitoring options. Rich, your script sounds almost exactly like what we had been thinking of doing. Would you be willing to share?

Despite its complexity (compared to a perl script), Grid Control is also a strong contender because of the Provisioning pack and the number of machines we need to manage. Can anyone share their experiences with it, particularly regarding bare metal provisioning or AIX? (I realize that's a little off-topic for this thread: feel free to start a new one if you want.)

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com> wrote:

> I'm curious -- can you give examples of non "ORA-" issues you've had in
> your
> alert.log that were worthy of notification? Always looking to improve on
> log checking! :)
>
> Unlike any other logchecker I've seen, my perl script checks *all* log and
> trace files in the $ORACLE_BASE tree. There are many places errors can
> popup that aren't recorded in the alert.log, especially with middle tiers,
> Grid Control, and the like.
>
> To preemptively strike the obvious question about this process, I minimize
> the IO overhead by keeping track of the last known filesize of each
> log/trace file. If the size hasn't changed, don't recheck. If it has,
> sysseek to the last size and start searching there. Granted, it still
> relies heavily on FS caching, but running this every minute via cron takes
> only about 1 second if it doesn't find errors and max 3 seconds if it found
> multiples (which is most likely due to the overhead in mailing the found
> errors). This is true for both our production IBM 8-way p-series w/32GB
> RAM
> and SAN as well as the spartan P-IV desktop we use for Grid Control.
>
> It works well for me, exceeding the timliness and thoroughness of Grid
> Control monitoring.
>
> Rich
>
> --

Jason Heinrich