Re: SAN evaluation

From: Dennis Williams <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 09:49:29 -0500

The one thing I didn't see in your list is your reliability/downtime requirements. A SAN is a critical, expensive, shared resource, so any downtime has wide-ranging effects. There is a SAN term for this which I can't recall at the moment, but basically you are asking whether the SAN has to go offline for any reason, such as maintenance, upgrades, etc. You can save a lot of money if your requirements aren't so critical, but then you may suffer more downtime.

Dennis Williams