Re: hope for the future

From: Mark Brinsmead <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 05:42:38 -0600

Nice, I guess. But what is the chance that she will actually *use* it?

Well, better, perhaps, than if she had never studied it I suppose. :-)

Man, if I had a dollar for every time I told a client "Dude, your data model is flawed", and another dollar for every time the client provided a witty response like "Huh? What's that?", I'd have -- well, okay, I'd have enough for dinner at least. Maybe a *really good* dinner. :-)

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Niall Litchfield <> wrote:

> So there I was this morning sitting on the tube (UK underground rail
> system) when a young student got on an sat down beside me. Obviously being
> both English and a commuter I couldn't speak to her!, but I did sneak a look
> at what she was reading. These turned out to be the notes she had made on
> her course that she was now going over presumably in preparation for exams.
> The notes this morning were on normal forms, entity relationship and data
> modelling.
> So there we go, a young female student of IT would be pretty good in
> itself, the fact that she was studying relational theory was the icing on
> the cake. There is hope ladies and gentlemen, there is hope.
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA

-- Mark Brinsmead