RE: no archivelog incomplete recovery?

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 22:11:29 +0800

Since it was a "active online redo log" that was lost, the "active" means that the redo log had been written to by lgwr but dbwr hadn't completed a checkpoint yet. Therefore, we wouldn't be "lucky" !

At 02:30 AM Tuesday, Elliott, Patrick wrote:
>This isn't entirely true. If you are lucky, and the online redo
>logs were never overwritten since the last cold backup, then you
>could apply the inactive archive logs up to just before the lost
>active one. During the recovery you would specify the full path to
>the online redologs that need to be applied. This will work in
>either archivelog or noarchivelog mode. In the case where your
>backup includes the online archive logs, it might be a good idea to
>save the unbroken online redologs just in case they can be
>used. You might get lucky again and the online logs may have only
>been overwritten once.
>Of course the above scenario will only work with a very quiet
>database. 99.99% of the databases would not be able to use this.
>

>Pat

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble." Mohandas Gandhi Quotes
: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html