Re: no archivelog incomplete recovery?

From: Paul Drake <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 23:14:58 -0400

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 7:57 PM, John Smith <> wrote:

> I am studying for the OCP, and one of the practice test questions is how to
> recover from a lost active online redo log in noarchivelog mode. the answer
> they give is to restore a consistent backup, startup in mount mode, perform
> a cancel based recovery, and open with resetlogs.
> Is that answer correct? I didnt think you could do a recovery if you arent
> in archivelog mode.

If the backup were consistent (a cold backup of a database in noarchivelog mode, or an rman backup while the database is in a mount state) then no recovery would be required.
One could force recovery, telling it that the controlfile was a backup controlfile (even if it was not).
But if no archived redo logs (or online redo logs) are being applied, then what is the point of performing a cancel-based recovery?