Re: Sticky bit set on linux password file

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:56:15 -0700

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> The following test was performed:
>
> shutdown database
> chmod 640 orapworcl
> startup database
> logon to database remotely as sysdba
>
> It doesn't appear that the SUID bit serves any purpose.
>
> Does someone here know why the password file is SUID?

I hit SEND just a bit too soon.

After doing that test, I saw that the sticky bit was again set on the password file.
This occurs during the mount of the controlfile (9.2.0.7 database)

  • SQL> startup nomount ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 337609664 bytes

Fixed Size                   742336 bytes
Variable Size             218103808 bytes
Database Buffers          117440512 bytes
Redo Buffers                1323008 bytes
SQL> !ls -l orapworcl
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 1536 Oct 30 2007 orapworcl

SQL> alter database mount;

Database altered.

SQL> !ls -l orpworcl
-rwSr----- 1 oracle oinstall 1536 Oct 30 2007 orapwqa01

SQL> So the question still stands - why?

Jared Still