Re: How do you meet your audit requirement?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:10:01 -0700

Since you brought it up, I have considered trying to use some external software to track the sysdba audit logs.

This could be done with standard object auditing as well, just set audit_trail=db.

No one has ever asked me to do this, so I have not attempted this.

Anyone here done auditing this way?

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Lyndon Tiu <ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:

> In the OS world, you would log to a syslog running on a different machine.
> This separate machine is supposedly harder to break into and alter the logs.
>
> In the network world, you would monitor network traffic using a sniffer, a
> machine connected to the network hub (not a switch) without an ip address.
> The hub would relay all network traffic to this one sniffer box. But since
> the sniffer box does not have an ip address, it is harder (not impossible)
> to find and get to.
>
> I wonder if there are such features in the DB world?
>
> One way would be to store redo logs on a separate hardened machine. This
> way, all transactions are kept and auditable.
>
> Also, have Oracle log to it's *.log and *.trc files on a separate machine.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>

> --
> Lyndon Tiu

Jared Still