Re: Oracle 9i RMAN

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:05:05 -0700

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Blanchard William < William.Blanchard_at_kohler.com> wrote:

> Just the way they've always done it.
>
> ------------------------------

Now there's a topic that has raged across the pages of this forum a few times.

To be or not to be, should a database ever be backed up cold?

My vote is "almost never"

Prior to 10g, a resetlogs required a cold backup.

Well, not actually required, but if anyone did any work on the newly opened database, and the database crashed before a backup was completed, there was a very good chance of losing that work.

10g simplified recovering a database through a resetlogs ( I haven't tried it)
but I would still do a cold backup on it.

Sometime "the way we've always done it" needs to be examined in the light of "is this how we should still be doing it?" .

That reminds me of the story of the young lady that purchased a roast from the meat department at the grocery store, and asked the butcher to cut in half.

Why? Because that's how her mother had always done it.

When her mother learned of this she told her daughter that she had always asked for it to be cut in half because simplyu she didn't have a pan large enough to cook the whole thing.

"But that's the way we always did it" :)

--
Jared Still