Re: Excessive cpu usage on 10.2.0.3 linux 64bit

From: Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:59:19 +0300

Think about it.
For each record:
1) For each fk:

  • calculate the value for the the referencing fk.
  • search the index to see if you do not invalidate the fk by deleting the record. 2) For each index on the table:
  • calculate the index value.
  • get the block that contain that value, may cause 0 or more physical I/O.
  • update the index tree 3) Delete the record from the block.

Multiply this by 4 M records and you get a lot of work.

Check the logical reads and I think you will see a lot of them.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel