RE: RMAN 9i Behaviour

From: Subbiah, Nagarajan <Nagarajan.Subbiah_at_aetn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:03:13 -0400

Thanks, Jared.

Oracle Versions affected: 9.2.0.5 and 9.2.0.8 OS Version: HP-UX 11.11

The work around we are using is greater than the number of local archive destination in the delete command 'backed up 3 times.'

The ML Note says that this issue is fixed in 9.2.0.7 but we still have the issue with the 9.2.0.8.

If we have two archive destination, Will the archive log be backed up from both the location for the same file or will it backup only one archive log file?. We assumed that since we have two archive location, RMAN deletes the archives even if it is backed up only once.

Raja.

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:45 PM
To: Subbiah, Nagarajan
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: RMAN 9i Behaviour

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Subbiah, Nagarajan <Nagarajan.Subbiah_at_aetn.com> wrote:

        Hi,

        We have two archive destinations on the same server. The archive logs

        are deleted after it is backed up once though we give the delete command

        for the archive logs backed up 2 times. This is happening only in 9i

        version but the 10G behavior is as expected. As we have two archive

        location, does the RMAN assume that even though it is backed up only

        once, it was backed up twice.

I suggest you look at ML Note 3844804.8

In the future you would do well to include platform and oracle version information.

--
Jared Still