Problem with SQL coming from SQL Server into Oracle DB

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:30:46 -0600

Environment: IBM zSeries VM, SLES10, Oracle EE 10.2.0.3

We have several SQL queries that run slowly when run through SQL Server Reporting Services 2005. Explain plans with the bind variable look good. When it actually gets to the Oracle database, the exeuction plans show the bind variable replaced with actual values and it's a really bad plan. When we run the query from SQL*Plus command line, it runs well and has a good execution plan regardless of how many entries exist in the "IN" clause for the bind variable. Has anyone seen anthing like this or have suggestions where we can look next to tune these queries?

Example code with bind variable:

SELECT

        u.userlastname||', '||u.userfirstname AS username,
        u.userid,
        c.companyname,
        COUNT(m.docid) as activecount,
        sum(m.amountdue) as activedollars
FROM users u, companies c, mbinvoice m
WHERE u.companyid = c.Companyid
  AND m.assigneduser_seq = u.user_seq
  AND m.assigneduserid IN (:inCompanyid)
  AND m.state IN ('unMapped', 'RequiresApproval')
  AND m.isdeleted = '0'
  AND m.issent = '1'
  AND m.paymentduedate >= SYSDATE

GROUP BY u.userlastname, u.userfirstname, u.userid, c.companyname

Example code as it appears coming from SQL Server; when the following code has only one entry in the IN clause, it runs quickly, more than one is very slow.

SELECT

        u.userlastname||', '||u.userfirstname AS username,
        u.userid,
        c.companyname,
        COUNT(m.docid) as activecount,
        sum(m.amountdue) as activedollars
FROM users u, companies c, mbinvoice m
WHERE u.companyid = c.Companyid
  AND m.assigneduser_seq = u.user_seq
  AND m.assigneduserid IN
                  (N'ABC000012421000',N'ABC000012421002',N'ABC000012421003')
  AND m.state IN ('unMapped', 'RequiresApproval')
  AND m.isdeleted = '0'

  AND m.issent = '1'
  AND m.paymentduedate >= SYSDATE
GROUP BY u.userlastname, u.userfirstname, u.userid, c.companyname

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sandy