RMAN 9i Behaviour

From: Subbiah, Nagarajan <Nagarajan.Subbiah_at_aetn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:41:31 -0400

Hi,

We have two archive destinations on the same server. The archive logs are deleted after it is backed up once though we give the delete command for the archive logs backed up 2 times. This is happening only in 9i version but the 10G behavior is as expected. As we have two archive location, does the RMAN assume that even though it is backed up only once, it was backed up twice.

The script we use as follows:

connect catalog rman/<password>@<SID>
connect target <uid>/<password>@<SID>
 sql 'alter system archive log current'; crosscheck archivelog all;
delete noprompt expired archivelog all;
run
{
 allocate channel ch1 type disk;
 set limit channel ch1 kbytes 20480000;
 backup
 tag = '<SID>_ARCH.200806251130'
 format '/<backup_fs>/<SID>/%d_archivelog_t%t_s%s_p%p'  archivelog all not backed up 2 times;
 release channel ch1;
}
 allocate channel for maintenance type disk;  delete noprompt backup of archivelog all completed before '(sysdate-(2+4/24))'; - To keep 2 days of archive log backup set in Disk  delete noprompt archivelog all backed up 2 times to disk; - To remove the archive logs from the archive location.  release channel;

Raja.