RE: Determine Record Creation Date Without Audit Turned On

From: David Litchfield <david_at_databasesecurity.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:11:58 +0100

Is it not possible to use a flashback query to determine the records in question; or alternatively the redo logs? HTH,
David

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:31 AM
To: Langston, Chris
Cc: oracle-l

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Langston, Chris <Chris.Langston_at_aa.com> wrote:

All,

We have a user that needs to do cleanup on a table in a 10.2 instance and wants to remove rows in a table based on when the record was created but there is no creation date as part of the record entry. Without having auditing turned on, is there a way to do determine this from the data dictionary tables and, if so, which ones. I'm a rather new DBA and not well versed in Oracle's data dictionary tables. All of my searching for keeps directing me to information about auditing.

There's a simple way to set this up for future use.

alter table my_table add ( row_create_date date default sysdate )

Obviously this will not work for old data, but may be useful in the near future for cleaning up data.

And 30 days from now, all rows with a null value for this column will be 30+ days old.

--

Jared Still

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jun 20 2008 - 10:11:58 CDT

Original text of this message