Re: Oracle 8.1.17 extent management

From: Nuno Souto <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:50:20 +1000

Very much my choice as well for those earlier releases and even 10g. Fixed extents. Stay away from ASSM until at least the number of nasty bugs with that allocation is astronomical until then. Particularly if you do anything out of the simple vanilla table/column design. Eg: LOBs, nested tables, indexing other than simple b-tree, MVs, log shipping, objects, etcetc.

Nuno Souto
in overcast Sydney, Australia