Re: Tool to export data in XML format?

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:11:30 -0700 (PDT)

It's been a while since I've looked at this, but SQL*Plus will actually Markup the output of queries in an HTML format. Would that be acceptable for what you are wanting? I believe that there is a tag identifying each column, etc... You could just query the data in the tables and dump it out to a file. This is all spelled out in the Oracle SQL Reference Guide.

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press) The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You must be LDS to apply (please don't write to me and tell me I'm breaking the law. A church can choose to hire members of it's own faith. Look it up if you don't believe me).

  • Original Message ---- From: Janine Sisk <janine_at_furfly.net> To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:00:57 PM Subject: Tool to export data in XML format?

I have a need to export data from a 9i database in XML format. Using the table and column names as the XML descriptors (or whatever they are called) would be fine. Ideally I'd like to be able to specify SQL to select a few records from one table and have the export include all related data from other tables by following the foreign key references, but if I have to supply the complete SQL that's ok too. The idea is to be able to provide a complete sample of the data in XML format.

I've searched the archives of this list, and Googled, but all I can find are APIs that would let me write such a thing. This is a one-off task for a client, so I'd rather not write it nor do they want to pay a lot for it (I'm guessing Crystal Reports or the like could do this, for a price).

Does anyone know of an existing tool I could use?

thanks,

janine

---

Janine Sisk