Using DBCA to clone database structure, hangs at 60%

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:21:15 -0500

I'm trying to use DBCA to create a template from an existing database.  The existing database is Oracle 10.2.0.2 on sparc. I've used dbca both remotely from my workstation (winxp 10.2.0.1), connecting over sqlnet, and locally on that server via VNC. In both cases, DBCA hangs at 60% on "Creating a template from the database". In both cases, the $ORACLE_HOME/cfgtoollogs/dbca/trace.log ends with these messages (thread number differs from time to time):

[Thread-3] [16:6:7:854] [StepContext$ModeRunner.run:2458] ----
Progress Needed:=true
[Thread-3] [16:6:7:869] [BasicStep.execute:202] Executing Step :
GEN_TEMPLATE_FROM_DB
[Thread-3] [16:6:7:869] [BasicStep.configureSettings:304]
messageHandler being set=null
[Thread-3] [16:6:22:276]
[DatabaseAttributes.getTablespaceAttributes:684] bOMFMode=false

Google and metalink have failed me (or I've failed them). I'm trying to create templates for structure only, no data. I've tried with and without OMF conversion, same results. There's nothing in the server's alert logs relating to this.

I've let this sit at 60% for over 2 hours at some points. I haven't tried this before, but I would think it shouldn't take that long. Additionally, hitting "Stop" just hangs as well.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'll try nearly anything at this point.

--
Don Seiler
http://seilerwerks.wordpress.com