RE: recovery from RAW partitions

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 00:12:46 -0400

Let's try this again. What does "I was talking to a DBA today who insisted that performing a recovery with a RAW partition." mean? What are you asking for agreement/disagreement on?

As to the performance improvement, if any, of raw devices, well, as with many things, it depends.

Personally, I use raw partitions for the following reasons:

  • AIO and DIO capable
  • no memory wastage caching datafile blocks in filesystem cache
  • Sys admin staff is comfortable w/ raw partitions
  • In my environment, there's no downside

-Mark

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Rick Ricky [ricks12345_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 11:01 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: recovery from RAW partitions

I was talking to a DBA today who insisted that performing a recovery with a RAW partition. He didn't really explain why. Does anyone agree with this? If so why? He also said that RAW partitions only give about a 2% performance improvement. If so, why would you want to use them (other than with voting disks and OCR in RAC).