Re: AIX 10g/11 and Oracle DBA logins

From: Robert Freeman <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:31:01 -0700 (PDT)

Expensive move.... I'd rather go 64-bit Linux on Intel myself.Get more machine at much more attractive price and just a stable IMHO.

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: (Oracle Press) The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You must be LDS to apply (please don't write to me and tell me I'm breaking the law. A church can choose to hire members of it's own faith. Look it up if you don't believe me).

  • Original Message ---- From: S. Anthony Sequeira <> To: Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 3:24:49 PM Subject: Re: AIX 10g/11 and Oracle DBA logins

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 15:49 -0500, DIANNA GIBBS wrote:
> We are moving all of our instances to AIX from Windows and VMS.

Congratulations. It's a good move.

> Since I have been the only DBA on the new AIX servers, I have been
> using the oracle OS user login. Now that we are moving into production,
> we have several DBAs and would like all of us to log in using our specific username
> and su to oracle user or be able to do anything needed as if we were the
> oracle user. We are currently able to do this on Windows and VMS.

sudo is the answer.

> Any direction or information appreciated.
> Thanks!
> Dianna G.

S. Anthony Sequeira
that's a Kludge(TM)