Re: Restricting Oracle to one processor

From: Bradd Piontek <piontekdd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:30:07 -0500

In lieu of my finding a licensing expert, I am a bit troubled by this discussion. Maybe perplexed is a better term. I have read through the Global Price List, read the terms, read the Software Investment Guide, and I'm still confused on Standard Edition.

Oracle gives good Enterprise, multi-core examples, but not very good one's for Standard (on purpose? :) ). So here's a real-world example.

Let's say I'm going to buy a Sun T5220 (T2 chipset, 4 or 8 core). I have no need for any of the enterprise options and would like to run standard edition on this server. Is that even possible? I"m not sure how the T2 chipset is laid out. My first thought was to say 'yes', it has one socket and therefore is eligible. If I take the sticter view of the multi-chip module, I may tend to think that a 4-core T2 could run Standard (4 sockets) but the 8-core could not. Anyone have any insight to this specific example?

--
Bradd Piontek
http://www.twitter.com/piontekdd

<http://www.last.fm/user/piontekdd/> -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l