Re: Certifications don't count!

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:46:38 -0600

I like that list. I also recall having to think of what answer Oracle wanted me to give rather than what's really "right". I also agree that I don't use a script when interviewing. However, I do always ask candidates this question:

"Can uncommitted data be written to an Oracle datafile?"

Discuss. Funny part is, it's a 50/50 shot. So, part of the followup is always the why/whynot question. While the question isn't really material to anyone's job, ability to answer authoritatively one way or another usually shows how well one understands the basic transaction process and concepts used by Oracle. And that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Good luck...and if any of you interview with me, I guess you can prepare now :).

Dan

P.S. Funny sidenote--I used to work with a guy that always asked "Where do you keep your shoes?". He used it to determine organization behavior (are the shoes by the back door, in individual boxes in the closet labeled with the last date you wore them, or do you not have any idea). It always threw candidates off, but it was entertaining to watch how they handled the oddball question as well.